Monday, January 2, 2012

Lose It Part I



So here it is my first blog of 2012 and I am selling out whole hog to the Lose It campaign that we are doing at my church Southpoint Community Church. And I will be sharing everything that I am doing to participate in all of this. First, let's talk about my goals for Lose It:

Physical Goals: (Lose the Pounds)

  1. I turn 40 this year and have never been consistent with my workout regimen. So goal #1 is all about consistency. Therefore, I want to workout 5 X's every week until Easter.
  2. Also, I would like to lose 5% of my body fat by Easter. I don't really know if this realistic or not but what the hey?
  3. While I'm at it with the physical goals I want to gain 5 lbs. of muscle mass. The way I see it is that if I gain .5 lbs/wk and decrease in body fat % at the same time this will work.
Personal Goals: (Lose the Excuses)
  1. As a husband and father I want to do a better job expressing my love for Chelsea and Maddie. So to start off I intend to go on a date with Chelsea every week and with Maddie at least twice a month. This will be a difficult goal for me to keep because I'm not much of a planner and my schedule can get away from me. So this will be a good growth goal for me.
  2. Too often I stink as a friend so my goal in this area will be to hang out with my guy friends at least once a month. I want genuine friendships that have lifelong ramifications and this will be a good start.
  3. I want to get our family finances in order. So Chelsea and I are going to attend the Crown Financial Seminar being held at our church on January 21st.
Spiritual Goals: (Lose the Attitudes & Baggage)

  1. As I said earlier, "I am selling out whole hog" to Lose It. So my first goal here is to do the daily plate 6X's/wk through Easter. I don't even fully understand what it is but I'm going to do it.
  2. I want to exercise my faith in 2012. So I intend to identify some of the promises in the Bible that I want to apply to my life and pray through them regularly, at least 5X's/wk.
  3. Finally, what's the point of going on a spiritual journey with Jesus if you're not going to make sure it's memorable? So I intend to journal and blog about this whole experience so that whatever God does in all of this will be recorded and not forgotten.
Well, there they are. It's a little scary putting your goals out there for all to see. Either no one will read them and that would be a little disheartening or I will fail and you all will know about. In any case I look forward to the whole experience and to see what God will do with my efforts.

I mentioned in the video that I would do this so, here's a short explanation of my workouts and how it is all supposed to work. Mike O'Donnell www.theIFlife.com (btw he believes in intermittent fasting not interval fasting sorry 'bout that!) in his book lays out a system that is based on the HIIT concept. I have taken his system and customized it according to his suggestions. Today was my Plan A routine and here is what I did:

The interval training that I am doing is based on a circuit system. I spend 40 sec. on an exercise and then rest for 20 sec. Then I go to the next exercise in my circuit. there are three exercises that I rotate through and I continue this for 9 min. before I rest for 2 min. After the rest I do a new circuit for 9 min. This is the beginning plan for his system. After 4 wks I will change the exercises and circuit times and start all over. one more thing about this. Each exercise is based on a specific muscle group and activity and therefore compliment each other. 1st exercise: Upper body push, 2nd exercise: upper body pull, 3rd exercise lower body, 4th exercise: upper body secondary, 5th exercise: Plyometric exercise, 6th exercise core exercise. So here it is for the few of you who are still reading:

1st  exercise (40 sec): pushups *
2nd exercise ( 40 sec): pull-ups
3rd exercise (40 sec): Pistoles *
20 sec rest between each, repeat 3X's

4th exercise (40 sec): handstand pushups (definitely modified!)
5th exercise (40 sec): kettle ball swings 20 lbs
6th exercise (40 sec): planks *

note: * designates the exercises that I use rope suspended from the ceiling to modify the exercise.

This was long but it was an introduction. my future posts will be shorter.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome Pastor Eric. I def. need to write mine down so I am going to go do that now. Praying for you and can't wait to see whats up throughout the weeks and then how awesome Easter is when all goals are met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get it done Eric. I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM IN! .. i just downloaded the apps.. SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Except...

    Don't you have any female friends?

    ReplyDelete